Thales combines in an elegant way the advantages of the tried and tested pivoted tonearm with the absolutely tangential tracking. This construction for which a patent was taken out on the 8th of May 2004 reduces the perfectly tangential tracking to pivot points, while the pick-up cartridge is taken and aligned on the Thales' Circle.
Animation (Java needed)
Move point C in the animation above over the record area in order to see the tangential tracking on the Thales' Circle. All triangles ABC on the Thales' Circle around M are rectangular in point C. Thus BC stands rectangular to AC and therefore tangential to the groove (red) with the radius AC. Because the pick-up cartridge is mounted exactly under point C and in the alignment of the straight line BC the tracking is perfectly tangential in every position.
From this completely new solution the following advantages ensue:
- no tracking error and no consequential resulting distortions
- minimal friction because of pivot bearings; no linear bearings; no active tracking
- short tonearm with little resonance
- symmetric inertia at the tracking point in all axles
- damping and compensation of the skating force through weights